Saturday, December 27, 2008
There is so much more to India
So after loooking over the photos I have posted, I realized that they kind of portray a magical and beautiful India. But as I am sure most of you are aware, India is a developing nation and there is so much more to it than what the photos portray. There is so much going on here that my camera is not capturing. Sure, there is great beauty in this place but at the same time there can be a lot of difficult things to digest (I am not talking about the food). The immense amount of litter and pollution, bodies sleeping in the streets, diseased dogs running rampant, the pieced together garbage shacks that people call home, street children hanging on you looking for a handout, the numerous people suffering from polio, and the guy wearing shoes on his hands to pull himself around in the streets because he has lost his legs, are all things in which the camera is not pointed at. Whether it be from the window of a bus or out wandering the streets, these are all harsh realities of India that confronts one on a daily basis. Even though it is easy to physically look away, it is not easy to get these things out of the mind. And I am only seeing this from the point of view of a tourist, I have a feeling I have only seen a small proportion of the hardships in this country. But in a funny way this is also what makes India such a wonderful place. All of these realities certainly makes one more humble. I guess that is the only way I can look at it in an optimistic way. I am certainly not trying to be negative about the country, it is still an awesome place to visit and I am thrilled to be here, but I wanted to give a different perspective. OK, that's enough for now, I had to get that off my chest. Tomorrow, an update from Mumbai...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hmmm I am trying to imagine this as you describe it. One of the hardships about photojournalism is taking hard pictures. Maybe you want to forget, but I think it is okay to take those images. (If you were wondering my opinion :) Even if you don't do anything with them, I encourage you to record what you can, you never know... but you can never go back to where you were, it will always be different somehow, even if it's just your perspective! I agree with your mom and dad, record some sounds!!! Some of your pictures truly are beautiful Grant! I definitely see a difference in your eyes this time. Merry Christmas (late) and Happy New Year, can't wait to see more!!! --krista
We should all make it one of our 1000 things to do before we die. Go to another country, experience another culture, and do what we can do the make the world a better place. Lets give what we can and give of ourselves when possible.
Well put.
Post a Comment