OK, so I was a little skeptical about Goa and the "scene" that it is known for. However, now that I am here, I know why so many people visit here. After about 17 hours of bus journeys, I hopped off at a beach that I thought would be my best bet to sleep for one night. The beach village is called Palolem, and at one time was the busy beach of the state. But times change and Palolem has mellowed out. There is no doubt a lot of travelers here, but we seem to be like minded in that we are avoiding the big parties and crowds. It is a stunning place. There is a huge sandy beach rimmed with a thick palm forest and small rock outcropping on both ends. The water is very warm, I am guessing somewhere in the 70's, while the air has been in the 90's. It is really pleasant here. My days have been consisting of a lot of swimming, climbing (I have found some great bouldering), eating wonderful cheap food (seafood and fish curries, outstanding!), and hiking around the surrounding abandoned bays. In many ways this is unlike the typical India. There isn't any of the usual Indian hassles like the pushy people and scammers. It is nice to take my gaurd down, at the moment. Also, the "no shoes, no shirt, no service" rule does not apply here. In most of India it is unproper to wear shorts, let alone go shirtless, but here it flies. My sleeping arrangement is a simple little shack on the beach that is going for about $4.20 a night. In many ways this is paradise. My pace of travel has certainly slowed down here and the last few days have been relaxed. I will usher in the New Year here (maybe with a nice sunrise swim) and eventually hop a bus and continue on further South. I wish everyone a happy New Year!

The Indian beach babe

Ahhhh...

Home sweet home

Sunrise on the beach
11 comments:
Great picture of you in front of the hut. So does the hut have power and is the motorcycle out front for you to use or do you just have someone waiting to take you somewhere?
Do you know what are they fishing for?
Good catch on the motorcycle, I didn't even notice that it made it in the picture. It looks like quite the jallopy, I really doubt it runs. Motorbikes are fairly cheap to rent, around $5 a day, but I am not real proficient on a motorcycle, let alone on Indian roads. Plus I enjoy just walking. There is power in the hut, one power outlet, a light bulb, and a fan. Pretty basic, it works though.
I am not really sure what they are fishing for. I am sure they would be more than happy to tell whatever you want to hear, blue whale, hammerhead shark, cutthroat trout. Just kidding. The menus are showing Tuna, King Fish, and Sword Fish. There is also lobster, prawns, and calamari. In the morning the boats bring in a ton of small fish, what they are I am not sure. I ate one of these small fish fried at a local restaurant, really not too tasty.
Hey!!
The boats in the beach babe picture...Is that nets piled in them? Are they motorized? Or is the sticks with sauses on the ends oars? Did you see anyone set sail with them?
Hey!!
sauses... should be saucers {round plates} Sorry!! Mom doesn't want to be part of the last comment.
Happy new year!!!!
Those are nets piled on the boats, those are the fishing craft. Some of them have a little outboard on them, others don't. Those are the oars or maybe paddles, not sure. It appears that when they are out in the sea they paddle the boat like a canoe. It is amazing they get anywhere with such small paddles. Most of the boats go out early in the morning and trickle back in throughout the day, bringing in the wonderful seafood to eat. I have watched them ride the waves back in but never caught them going out.
mmm looks relaxing! I'm wondering if you got a New Year's kiss from your beach babe?? Just kidding. You look happy here!
I don't know what your code means. When in doubt, try again.
You know, the beach babes were actually hard to woo. I don't know what it is about them, maybe they think they are something special since they are holy. I don't know.
These are my favorite! I wish I could be there now. Lee is getting to that point during the winter were he is grouchy because everything is breaking and he can't keep up with it. :) Bet you miss that! I can't wait for you to get back. Lee and I are planning on having you over, maybe check out some pictures and hear the stories! Oh, one request, Richard wanted to try out real chai. Could you bring some more home with you?! Thanks!!
Hey G,
Looks like a wonderful spot to spend the new year! Fun posts, I'm just getting a chance to read some of them. Namaste-
Post a Comment