Monday, December 15, 2008

Living it up in Pushkar

The last couple of days I have been hanging out in the holy city of Pushkar, which is in the desert state of Rajasthan. It is an exciting place and in many ways captures the essence of India. I am told there is around 500 temples in town, I believe it despite the Indian tendency to exaggerate. There are shrines and temples shoved into every little pocket on every street. Another good indicator of its holiness, the amount of cows. At times the streets can get so overwhelmed with the holy bovine that I am constantly in fear for my toes. But I am convinced that I have some good karma remaining as most of the cows let me pass without a problem, with the exception of one gal who felt it necessary to let me know who is boss. However, my quick moves prevented a horn in the butt. Other than that, it has been a restful couple of days. Of course there are stories to tell, but in the interest of keeping these postings short I am going to exclude them for now. As I hear that winter has taken a cold grip on you all, I must rub in that nothing but blue skies and 80's prevail here. However I am still yearning to go skiing, so feel free to get me back with your winter fun. My next posting should be from the golden city of Jasielmer, in far western India. This will be a new experience for me, so there should be some rich stories to come. Hope all is well.

Sunset over Pushkar

Wandering the streets

2 comments:

Suzie Kendall said...

Hi Grant: Just a quick note to let you know that you are missing some awesome snow views! Squaw Peak if very magestic dressed all in white and Stark Mountain is just begging you to ski to the bottom! Take care and have fun for me too! P.S. Watch out for those grumpy Holy Cows!

Krista Larson said...

Hey there GC!!!!
You are missing ridiculous below zero temps in Missoula, and it finally snowed! You are not, however, missing the terrible drivers and road conditions.
I am finally working! For the turkish jeweler again. But my commute has gone to 45 mins. each way! Ugh.
Your photography has really improved Grant! Nice use of lighting with the landscape, and I LOVE the light on your wandering the streets!! Keep up the good work, we'd love another of your photos!!
We are missing you and thinking of you. Keep yourself safe!
Krista and Caleb