Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Jaisalmer - Desert Paradise

I guess paradise isn't the best way to describe this place (or anywhere in India for that matter) but for a lack of a better word, I will use it. It may not be paradise but Jaisalmer is a fascinating place. It is situated in far West India about 200 km from the Paki border. The desert around the city is quite sandy but not barren like you would expect. There is brush and small trees scattered around. Jaisalmer is called the Golden City due to the golden sandstone used to construct the city and the massive fort. The fort is still alive with action despite its age. People still live, work, and do whatever else it is Indians do within the walls of the fort. I had a lovely 10 hour bus ride through the night to get here, only to arrive in a rain storm that flooded the streets. I am told that rain like that is rare. So the last couple days I have been eating (a common theme) and wandering the narrow streets of the fort. People are quite friendly here and I actually got a turban tying lesson from a young Muslim man. Sadly I need a lot more practice before I can properly tie a turban. So tomorrow I mount a trusty steed and head into the desert for three days. The tour will take me through "traditional" villages and empty sand dunes. I will give an update on that journey upon return. I will be thinking of you all in the sub zero weather while I am sleeping under the stars in the hot desert. Ha Ha. (oh I am going to pay)


Life within the walls of the fort

View from atop the fort

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be nice to get to hang out in nice warm sun. Although, I am enjoying the snow. The cold, is another story. There was an article in the newpaper on your tree farm. It was cute.
Well, we miss you. Lee's busy with the charters right now. Had to be to work at 3 in the morning. Damn Griz had to go to the championship game didn't they?!! :)
Take care of yourself and we're looking forward to reading about the grand desert and all it has to offer! :) -Crystal, Lee

Krista Larson said...

mmm, looks like a beautiful place grant! although it is warmer there, there are probably more bugs :)
We are having beautiful and delicious elk steaks for dinner, thanks!!!
-krista and caleb