Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Mumbai experience

I have finally made it into some new territory. Rajasthan was a repeat visit for me but Mumbai is the start of all new things to see. I arrived here yesterday morning after a long train and bus ride, oh yeah and one expensive taxi ride. Long story short, I put too much trust in these Mumbai "metered" taxis. Oh well, live and learn. So the last couple of days I have been just exploring the streets of the city. It is actually a nice city to walk around in, much to my surprise. I am able to walk for several miles without being disturbed, whereas in Delhi it is hard to even get out of the hotel without being annoyed in some way. The streets here are super clean also. No cows, no rickshaws, and traffic that seems to follow a system. There are actually traffic lights and lines painted in the street, and people actually follow them! One thing that I find so stunning about Mumbai is the architecture. There are so many fascinating buildings around every corner. Places like the Taj Hotel and the main train station that looks like something out of a Batman movie. Besides that, there is the ocean. It really feels great to walk along the harbor and take in the ocean breeze and watch the small fishing boats putter around. Last night I was able capture another one of those wonderful polluted Indian sunsets over the Arabian Sea. So here are some facts I gathered about the city: population - 16.4 million, population density - 29,000 people per square kilometer, average daily income - 134 rupees ($2.79), percentage of people living in slums - 55%, daily traffic through the main train station - 2.5 million people. Certainly some interesting numbers. However, my visit here is brief. I soon embark on a 15 hour bus ride to the small state of Goa. The state is known for its picturesque beaches and parties. Because of that, it is the last place I want to be on New Years, so it may be another brief visit. Probably after a day there I may dart down further South to find some more tranquil beaches. I will keep you all posted as things unfold. Take care.
A bit more charming without the smoke
One of the main train stations of Mumbai
Yeah, another sunset photo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Grant, those are some awesome pictures! We loved the interesting tidbits about Mumbai as well. It sounds like you are having a great time - can't wait to hear more!

Krista Larson said...

Hippie New Year's from Missoula Grant!!
Mumbai sounds interesting, somewhat "urbanized", or "americanized"?? How has the city and the hotel recovered? I hope you are taking more photos than you are posting! You are documenting history!!!
Stay safe in your travels!
Krista
ps, my verification code is pulmogg... wonder what that means?

Anonymous said...

The city seems to be fully recovered, people really don't talk about it too much. I am not sure if the Taj is open yet or not, but there is certainly tight security around the building. That was the closest I could get to it. Leopold's a popular traveler hangout that was also hit by the attack was open and business was thriving. Many of the street vendors were selling "I love Mumbai" t-shirts.
ps - my verification code is "rousalla", maybe you know what that means.