Heading North
from Cape Maclear,
my next stop along the lake was Nkhata
Bay. Although it is lacking the idyllic long sandy
beaches and relaxed atmosphere of Cape
Maclear, Nkhata Bay’s
charm comes in its busy streets and boat activity. I came to Nkhata Bay
in search of more sandy beaches to relax on and clear waters to soak in. Of course, that is not what I found. Instead Nkhata Bay
shifted my travel plans and changed my mode of transport from buses to
boats. With so much boat activity in the
bay, the wheels began turning and left me wondering where all the boats were
going to and fro. With Mozambique and Tanzania just across the lake (a
long ways across, that is) certainly I could find some exciting new
territory. But as I found out,
information is hard to come by. Nothing
runs on a schedule and trying to track down a captain of a boat amidst all the
activity is nearly impossible. In Nkhata
Bay there are no people holding signs displaying the vehicle’s destination and
no touts pulling you towards there specific vehicle (in contrast to the bus
system). Information travels through
word of mouth and I am certainly not in the loop. With Tanzania my next destination, I
received conflicting information about the possibility of getting there by
boat. Some would say no problem; others
would say not a chance. But I am a
stubborn optimist. After a shady
currency exchange, I boarded a boat with a wad of Tanzanian Shillings and set
sail across the clear blue waters of Lake Malawi
in search of the mysterious boat of the Swahilis.
The
busy streets of Nkhata were a joy to walk around in; few hassles, lots of
street food, and lots to look at.
The
vastness of Lake Malawi is unbelievable – only on the clearest days can you see
across but looking down the length of it is like staring into the ocean.
The
bay is always abuzz with activity with lake taxis coming and going. Most of the boats come loaded with usipa (small minnows that are widely
eaten in Malawi)
and return loaded with people. The big
boat would eventually become my sailing vessel.
Lake Malawi has water that
smokes. In fact, it is not smoke but
massive hatches of insects (as seen on the BBC Planet Earth series).




No comments:
Post a Comment