My initial assessment of the Mt.
Kilimanjaro area was one of disgust that left me considering hopping the next
bus out. From the minute I stepped off
the bus in the gateway town of Moshi, I was flooded with ungenuine greetings
followed by persistent hassling for Kilimanjaro climbs and Serengeti
safaris. I came here for neither; I came
to merely view one of the planet’s most iconic mountains. I reckon I will stick to my free and peaceful
mountains of Montana where someone isn’t trying to sell me a key chain every
step of the way. Plus, I have seen my
fill of wildlife; no point in paying hundreds of dollars to sit in a stuffy
Land Rover full of bulky-camera wielding tourists. Nonetheless, my protests fell on deaf ears
and the hounding never let up. Something
has gone terribly wrong when a Masai herdsman extends his hand in greeting only to
turn your wrist and peek at your watch, grin on his face. Sorry Moshi, you may have a big mountain but
even Dar es Salaam is more appealing.
Busy Moshi streets - often a nuisance to cross, especially when someone is on your heals trying to sell a trip to the top of Kili.
Carrots, oranges, Mombasa mangoes, Tanga mangoes, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, green pepper, coconut, papaya...what more could you ask for!
The main mosque of Moshi. With Tanzania's population around 50% Muslim, mosques can be found in every town and they are always reliable for that 4 a.m. morning prayer wake-up call.
To escape the riffraff I headed
for the small town of Marangu on the lower slopes of Kilimanjaro. Unfortunately, it was not an escape. I was like a lone gazelle amongst a pride of
lions; I was the only fresh piece of muzungu
meat around. It’s apparently low season
in the area which meant I was the only target for more of the persistent hounding
for things I did not want. However, with
the low season comes some unexpected delights.
After disembarking the bus in
Marangu I promptly shouldered my pack and began looking for a campsite. Out of shear desperation, I popped into a
lodge that I knew was well beyond my budget, just to get the guys who were
hassling me off of my back. I was very warmly welcomed by the
owner who showed me a few rooms. I
explained to him that I would have to go elsewhere because the luxury that he
was offering was not for me. Desperate
for a guest, he offered me any room for well below the normal price and with
some additional bargaining I was able to get dinner included. With any room available, I chose the big one
he called “artsy” with strange curves and funky painting. It was like living in a Vincent van Gogh
painting – I didn’t know if I should put my hands to my face and scream or just
quietly sit on the floor and meditate. I
did neither. Instead, I fired up the
stove and cooked pancakes. (I have since
researched that the famous “scream” painting I was envisioning at the time was
not a van Gogh...oh well.)
Lush, green, and hilly Marangu.
Luckily I was in Marangu for its twice-weekly market. It was no doubt a colorful affair.
Well, you could ask for beans.
Wanting only to take some
peaceful walks on the lower slopes of Kilimanjaro, I sought advice from the
helpful owner of the lodge. Going
against his businessman instincts (the lodge’s other area of business is
selling guided walks) he lined me out on places to walk thus helping me to
avoid paying for a guide and paying entrance fees. Apparently he knows a dirtbag when he sees
one.
Despite the initial hassles of
the area, I came to have an enjoyable couple of days on Mt. Kilimanjaro’s lower
slopes. Once away from the nagging touts
of the main village, I found the local Chagga
people of the area probably some of the friendliest I have met. I followed small roads and footpaths that
took me though small villages, farms, open meadows and lush rainforest. One morning, I woke to brilliant blue skies, which
I hadn’t seen for some time. I jumped
out of bed and hastily threw a small day pack together and rushed up the lower
slopes to finally get a clear view of the mountain before the inevitable clouds
moved back in. I was rewarded with clear
views of the mountain and with not a soul around. If it weren’t for my growling stomach (my
hasty packing resulted in no food in my pack) I may have considered poaching
the mountain (a lofty consideration).
I may have not gotten the legendary views of Kili with elephants marching in the foreground, but I at least like to think that I got unique views that few other tourists get.
The small roads and footpaths winding through the lower slopes of Kili were delightful; the smells were fantastic, people friendly, and the bananas delicious.
In the end, the hassles and
frustrations were worth the few moments on the doorstep of such a famous
mountain. At the same time, I am glad to
have checked it off the list and have no intention of returning. Excessive tourism has ruined a mountain. I dislike the way that it has driven people
mad for their slice of the tourist bucks and I dislike the way it makes me have
to treat them in return. Call me a curmudgeon, but it’s not for
me. What is also not for me is this
luxury stuff. Really, why do I need 2
forks, 2 spoons, and 3 knifes to eat a pretty-looking but small portion of food? With all the utensils I expect a lot of food. And what in the world is the long pillow on
the bed for? My one dirty spoon and
Therm-a-Rest are all the luxury I need for now on.








1 comment:
"My one dirty spoon and Therm-a-Rest are all the luxury I need for now on." Classic dirtbaggery! Love it GC!
Post a Comment