Friday, December 14, 2012

Casablanca, Morocco - Same Continent, Another World

Regardless of how many countries one has visited, apparently culture shock is something one never becomes immune to.  Little did I know as I stepped foot on an Emirates flight in Entebbe that despite just hopping over the Sahara, I was in for a culture shock.  As the plane made the approach into Dubai I was dazzled by the glowing serpentine streets and the extravagant skyscrapers.  My 9-hour layover in Dubai was no less dazzling.  The airport was a glamorous affair with its fancy restaurants, glitzy shopping, distant ceiling supported by shining pillars, and even a forest and river.  It was a full dose of Arab extravagance.

My next flight landed me in the no-so-extravagant Casablanca, but it was no less bedazzling.  Its still Africa, but not the Africa I know.  In all honesty, I stepped off the plane under prepared and was quickly at a loss amongst the madness.  It wasn't the general city chaos that threw me off; it was more the abrupt fitting-in along with no common language to help make the unfamiliar a little bit more familiar.  For me, nothing is more comforting than a big plate of food, but with Morocco's extensive and complicated cuisine along with tongue-tying Arabic and French pronunciations, even getting food did not come without its stresses.

But of course I managed.  One may never be immune to culture shock, but at least one can build up a tolerance for it and easily sweep it aside and hit the ground running.  Casablanca was only a quick introduction to Morocco.  Even though the city is interesting with lots of narrow streets and old buildings to gaze at, I gave it little time because it is rumored that the streets get narrower and the buildings older.

The Casablanca seafront.

 The impressive Hassan II Mosque; third largest in the world. 

 Casablanca...not too bad.

No comments: