Monday, January 12, 2009

More lazy beach days in Varkala

Sad to say, but my beach bumming days have come to an end. I have spent the last three days hanging out on the beaches here in Varkala. It is another beautiful place with wonderful beaches. Although a bit crowded with the "package tourist" crowd, the swimming has been great and no matter how busy a beach is it is always nice to laze the days away in the sand. But enough about the beaches, time for a funny story. You better sit down for this one. So I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a barber the last few days. I was just looking for a little trim so that I could experience the Indian barber thing, they are known to do marvelous work. But of course, as it always goes in India, when you are looking for something you will never find it, but when you are not looking for it is always being shoved in your face. But the other day a woman approached me and wanted to give me a haircut. I took it as a sign and gave her the business. She by no means was a barber, she had a small beauty salon where she did manicures and all that stuff. However she assured me she had trimmed beards and hair before and I trusted her. Her little shack had a lousy mirror in it so I couldn't see the cut until I got back to my room. I discovered that she had absolutely massacred my head. It was bad. I have a feeling that that was her trial run for the haircut thing. So I had to do something, I tried to further trim my beard but it was a lost cause, most of it went bye bye. As for my scalp, well beyond anything I could I fix. I went into town and found a real barber, just like the one I was in search of, and after I explained that a woman at a beauty salon messed up my hair, all he could do is shake his head and point out the steps across the back of my head. However, he worked his magic (he was amazing with the scissors) and was able to bring symmetry back to my hair. In the end I lost probably 75% of my hair, but what the heck, it will grow back. Plus, I think I am not sweating as much. Hope you enjoyed that, you can only laugh with me, I am finding the whole ordeal quite humorous myself.

Bringing in the catch of the day


The beach and cliffs of Varkala

Surreal sailing on the Lakshaweep Sea

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very funny story. The whole time I'm reading I'm hoping that there would be a picture attached, but there wasn't. So how much did both of the hair cuts cost? I hope that you took a picture of yourself and the hair cut. Now next time I cut your hair your going to be really nervous about me making the steps on the side but your right it always grows back.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Grant: You are so right about the "smile" being a healing balm to most any situation! We miss your smile here at work. Once again, I can't say enough about your pictures and dialogue..something I look forward to each day! (puts a smile on my face). Can't wait to see the haircut pix. See you soon,
Suzie

The Cornwells said...

Wow! We did not realize this is how we communicate with you. Last time we just emailed you. If we would have known this, we would have been sending you messages all along. We are new to this blog stuff. Thank you for taking us with you on another trip. Like always it is a highlight for us. I love to add your pictures to my screen saver to show everyone at work. So you have many people following you. Can't wait to see your new do!
Love always,
The Cornwells

Anonymous said...

Hey bro - did the women cutting your hair push on your head like Mom does? Were they sweet steps from the 80's? Jason and I are still laughing about it - we can just picture you with this look of horror on your face as you saw yourself in the mirror. Great story!

Anonymous said...

We are enjoying trip and all the
pictures. Hope your hair don"t grow too fast! Want to see the new
hair doo!

Anonymous said...

I hope you took pictures of that! Well, I didn't get to communicate as much as I had hoped. I think you are coming home soon, but I loved geting to experience the different parts of India that your journey took us all through. I never had a desire to travel to India, but with your stories, pictures and insight, it has made me think that, with a well trained guide like yourself, that it could be quite fun! Can't wait to see you when you get back. I know it won't be right away, I'll step in line and take my turn. :) Crystal

Anonymous said...

I think both of the haircuts totaled about $5, really not too bad considering the silly experience I got out of it. Sorry, there are no haircut pics, I was to concerned about getting it fixed than I was about taking photos. There was no "mom" head pushing by the woman, just a lot of crazy scissor work. The steps were totally butt rockin, I didn't think about it, but maybe that is what she was going for, I'd say that many Indian men still dress like it is the 80's.