Friday, January 9, 2009
A little insight from India
So the other day I was having one of those "hate India" days. This isn't something that I made up, it is a common thing a lot of travellers go through while travelling here. Sometimes things can become so overwhelming and your patience tested to the max that you just want to throw in the towel. Long story short, after a lack of communication at my guest house about food, which I lost money, followed by a rickshaw driver trying to rip me off, which resulted in me walking several kilometers instead, I decided I was having one of those days. But by the end of the day I was back to myself when I went to order some chai from a street vendor. I asked for the chai in Hindi, which he understood, but the language here is Malayalam, which I knew none. The other patrons started laughing at me so all I could do was laugh back and ask what was so funny. I guess Hindi isn't the norm here so they taught me some Malayalam. In the end it was a lot of smiles and laughing, just what I needed after my "hate India" day. Something I think we all know, but forget about at times, is the importance of smiling. Smiling is so universal and can really turn a person's day around. Just something to remember.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hey, we just wanted to let you know that your story made us smile today! Sometimes you just have to stop and be thankful for what you have.
Hey man that story did put a smile on my face. Sorry I've been out of touch, I've been under our equipment for three weeks! Which does make me appreciate the fact that I have a good job.
See ya soon Lee C
Grant, great to read about some of your reflections. You're a talented writer. Your post made me smile too, mostly the image of your goofy ass blushing as a bunch of chai-sipping Indians took delight and amusement at your Hindi.
Enjoy!
paul
ps- The ladies miss you. Every morning they say: "Boaaaaahk," which is chicken speak for "Graaaaant."
you know we all have I hate something days, it great that you can make a bad day turn into a smile and a laugh for all involved. Keep laughing and smiling. Your making us laugh and smile, never quit!!
PS Should you be bring the ladies home a gift???
I sure am missing the ladies, the chickens around here just aren't the same. I am not feeling the love. Boy, what kind of gift do you bring chickens? Banana peels? Rotten milk? Leftover rice? Decisions, decisions.
Post a Comment