Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hampi - A fulfilling Indian experience

For my final days I lucked out on the place I chose to spend them. I had heard that Hampi was a special place, but what one reads in the guide book or hears from other travellers can only be taken with a grain of salt. However, after a less than wonderful 24 hours of bus rides, I was awestruck upon arriving in Hampi. The village itself, and the ancient ruins scattered nearby, are actually a World Heritage Site. The history of the place goes way back and at one time was one of the largest Hindu empires in Indian history. There is also religious significance to the location, in Hindu legend, this was the realm of the monkey gods. Needless to say, there is a lot going on here. I couldn't help but think that if someone were to be just dropped here, they would get the sensory attack that is India, all in one small area. Its all here; cows, dogs, unruly monkeys, a busy bazaar, temples, ruined cities, beggars, exotic sadhus (holy men), snake charmers, dancing monkeys, a resident elephant, cheap restaurants, good food, chai and more chai, coconut palms, banana plantations, rice fields, the list goes on. The best part, all this set amongst some of the most exotic landscape I have ever laid eyes on. Outside of the town the area is a sea of boulders, stacked precariously for as far as the eye can see. Despite the hassle of the bazaar, a short walk out of town and nothing but peace and tranquility. It is all very surreal, and a wonderful place to finish out a trip to India. For my five days spent here, I rented a bike which allowed me to explore many of the back roads and countryside, visit small villages, and ponder the wonderful scenery. About a 20 minute bike ride from my "shack" I found a refreshing reservoir, which was actually clean (I haven't broken out in any strange rash yet) and undeveloped, where you could climb to the top of the boulders and jump into the surprisingly cool water. It was an outstanding last few days in the country. It is usually fun and exciting to hit the road but I was finding it difficult to leave Hampi. In five days I felt like a barely tapped into what the area has to offer. Oh well, a good reason to come back again, right? I am now in Bangalore from where I catch my flight home. I will probably make one more post before I head out and maybe share some of the special pictures I have been holding back, maybe. Hope everyone is doing is well and see you all soon.

The bazaar, temple, and ruins

Bath time for Lakshmi

Laid back village life

I really wasn't afraid

Hilltop temple devoted to Hanuman (the monkey god)

1 comment:

Grant Helgeson said...

Wow GC, that snake charming photo is amazing man!