Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Kanyakumari - Land's end for India

My journey South has come to a halt, I phsically can't go any further without swimming into the ocean. The town of Kanyakumari sits on the cape of India and as you can imagine it holds some religous significance to Hindus. It is a busy, crowded place with an interesting clash of temples, nice resort type hotels, fisherman, religous pilgrams, seashell vendors, and fellas who persistently try to sell you knock-off sunglasses despite the pair that are obviously sitting on your face. However, the town itself doesn't invoke too much excitement in me, coming here was more for the geographic significance it holds. It isn't as hot as I expected it to be here, which I am assuming is due to the constant howling winds, which if you let your gaurd down will darn near blow you on your butt. After so many of those wonderful Indian sunsets over the ocean, it was great to finally watch a sunrise over the ocean, although it did mean having to get up early. That is one of the neat things about this place, you can watch the ocean sunrise and sunset from the same spot. Even though the town itself isn't too picturesque, the surrounding landscape is stunning. It is possibly some of the finest scenery I have seen yet in India (besides the Himalaya, of course), but I only got to watch it go by from the window of the train. It seemed as if there were endless rice fields and banana plantations, and in the distance rugged, rocky hills and beyond those bigger mountains. It was certainly not the type of landscape I expected down here. Maybe I was just overjoyed to see mountains again. Either way, it was nice. That's about all I have for now, no funny stories this time around, but I am sure something silly will happen to me in my final week. Take care.

Yep, that's the sunrise

Get a running start, close your eyes, and hope you pop out somewhere on the other side

I am as interesting to them as they are to me (their idea, not mine)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Grant: I see in the "pop out the other side" picture one other tourist, but it doesn't appear that he had the same barber as you! Once again, great pictures. Will be glad to see you soon...tick tock, tick tock! Take care and have fun!
Suzie

Anonymous said...

So how can you watch a sunset and sunrise at the same beach?? I just don't get it.

Anonymous said...

Boy that is a big cup of water your drinking in the last picture. Don't they have bigger cups there?

Anonymous said...

There is no beach in Kanyakumari, it is only rock. OK, I didn't watch the sunrise and sunset from the exact same spot, there is an eastside and westside to town. Eastside for sunrise, westside for sunset. I do think there is a spot though where you can stand and watch both of them. It is a cape so there is water on three sides. Hope that clears it up.

Anonymous said...

I am not drinking water, taking a chai break. That is about the usual size of chai from the street, 3-5 rupees or around 10 cents. Sometimes there is 2 rupee chai, probably about the size of a shot, or even less.

Anonymous said...

Hey! It appears that the white guy in the picture got a much better haircut than me. But I bet he paid too much and only got to experience one Indian barber.

Krista Larson said...

Your haircut cracks me up. I cut my own hair without my contacts in and it's a "little" uneven. Oh well, it grows back.
Dennis just got back from Canadia and we are wondering when you are coming home to ski with us??