Thursday, October 4, 2012

Learning to Say Goodbye

The end of my Peace Corps service has come to a close.  To me, it is a bittersweet time.  After two years in Enguwantale with the ups and downs, the likes and the dislikes, and frustrations and joys, it is difficult to say goodbye.  Enguwantle has been my most consistent home since I first started traveling.  Nowhere else in the last 5 years have I lived in one place for more than 2 years.  And saying goodbye to the people that have become my family and friends over the last two years is not like saying goodbye to family and friends at home.  When I leave home there is a comfortable degree of certainty that I will be seeing my family and friends again.  It's still not always easy to say goodbye, but there is at least comfort in knowing that I will be back.  But saying goodbye here, it's a whole 'nother animal.  The goodbyes come with much less certainty that I will be seeing any of them again, especially my students.  I have no idea what life has in store for me so it is hard to say that I will ever be able to make it back, let alone find those that are dear to me now.  There is no doubt that the people and culture of Enguwantale have moved me.  It is downright hard to say goodbye. 

But, it had to be done and I managed.  I made the most of my last few weeks in the village.  I made sure that I was able to spend some quality time with my students, my host family, and others in the community that have been there for me.  Despite the shed tears, I am leaving Enguwantale happy that I was at least able to have a positive impact on some and satisfied that I worked to the best of my ability and remained dedicated to the community despite the hardships.  I have learned new skills, made new friends, immersed myself in another culture, and have acquired a different view on life and the world.  What more could I ask for?

With that, the next leg of this journey is about to begin.  Africa has stolen my heart and it is now time for me to dive into it.  The allure of Africa is much more enticing than the allure of America right now.  I am looking forward to the next three months not as a vacation, but as a time for reflection and learning.  I don't know what Africa has in store for me, but it really doesn't matter; it will be one hell of a wander.

(I intend to post some photos later; my things are spread across the country right now so when I am reunited with my thumb drive you can expect some photos.)

No comments: