In the eastern reaches of Zambia,
on the border with Malawi lies the bustling town of Chipata. Chipata is beautifully set amongst low mountains with shops and homes
creeping up the lower slopes. For me, Chipata was to be nothing more than a
jumping off point for reaching South Luangwa National Park and Malawi. However, after 12 hours on a bus from Lusaka,
I decided to take a rest day in the town.
As is becoming my usual lazy-day
routine, I spent a morning relaxing and catching up on laundry while the
afternoon was spent wandering streets and exploring markets. As a border town, Chipata has a unique
atmosphere that makes it particularly enjoyable to explore. The streets are a hubbub of activity and
vibrancy with everything from second hand cell phones to toothpaste to “fresh”
meat being sold in the open. The
majority of things being sold I don’t even know what they are, but from that
emerges a wonderful opportunity to learn. Taking a minute to stop at a market
stall and point at things asking what they are often results in interesting
answers. After asking a friendly woman
what a certain powder was she replied that it was groundnut (peanut)
powder. Naturally I asked how it is
used. From there I received a Zambian
cooking lesson and 5 minutes later left with an arm full of ingredients to cook
my own Zambian meal. With nothing more
than some onions, tomatoes, groundnut powder, pumpkin leaves and some rice I
returned to camp and cooked a meal that was almost as enjoyable as the
experience getting the ingredients.
Chipata is quite a large town but feels very much like a village in parts.
Groundnut powder; I didn't even know such a thing existed. It is now my favorite thing to cook with. Adding a generous amount to some sauteed vegetables and curry creates a very nice, subtly peanutty sauce.
The minibus from Chipata to nearby South Luangwa National Park was unbelievably overcrowded with luggage and sacks tied hanging out the back and eventually the roof being stacked high. It made it though despite the rough road.
3 comments:
Fun! Man peanut powder seams like a versatile ingredient! Can't wait to learn about the Nat'l Park. Safe travels brethren!
Absolutely a versatile ingredient! For now on I will be smashing my peanuts.
I appreciate all the comments and support GH!
Post a Comment