Maybe I am quick to form an opinion, but after only two days
in Kenya, I have to say it might be one of the most intriguing countries I have visited yet.
But, I say that without really being able to put my finger on why. Probably
part the incredible landscapes, part the romanticism of the cloaked Maasai
herding their cattle on the horizon, and probably part
the unruly, rough, and dusty towns and villages. Whatever it is, Kenya agreed
with me.
Like Tanzania, my time in Kenya was about business (hence
the brief and less adventurous post). It was a great couple of days, working
with staff in-country, traveling out to some of the rural schools that we
serve, observing the rural lifestyles of the Maasai, and being a temporary rock
star amongst the curious and enthusiastic school children. From this, I have
verified that it doesn’t matter where one is in Africa, the children are
magnificent, electrifying, and hold the key to a better future for the
continent. It was another inspiring set of experiences that excites me about my
role with this organization and is already leaving me longing to return.
Narok, Kenya is a bustling little city, with a raucous mosque and dusty, rutted streets; I like it.
Rural Kenyan road through Maasai territory.
It was a dusty,
bumpy, and uncomfortable ride getting out to this primary school. Being greeted
by dozens of smiling faces made it all worth it.
Visiting the
classrooms and witnessing first hand the incongruity between the actual learning
environment and the students’ eagerness to learn, was no doubt galvanizing.
I know it wasn’t
their first time seeing ‘muzungus’, but over the course of an hour my white
arms were thoroughly groped, hair petted, and beard yanked on.
A visit to another
primary school showed us the amazing product of one of our programs that
empower girls. I was hugely impressed by the girls’ ability to stand in front
of complete strangers (not to mention, white American strangers) with confidence not
commonly found in rural African girls.
It might be rural,
but there are still traffic jams.
Enough work for now though. As I type, the landing gear is
being deployed to touch down in a land that is surely going to rock my world.


2 comments:
My heart is warmed every time I read your blogs. You have such a big heart for the people and the country that have become your second family. Keep up the great work that your doing :)
Mom
Thanks Mom!
Post a Comment