After a short night in Tanzania's frenzied capital, Dar es Salaam, I groggily boarded a crappy bus bound for Arusha. Last time I made this bus trip, I remember eating a lot of greasy food bought through the window, feeling like the idea of personal space is a preposterous concept, and having a near miss with a dead body in the road. This time around was only slightly less exciting, and after 10 hours I raced off the bus to restretch by cramped body in the safari capital of the world. Arusha is where my trip momentarily changes gears and I have to make the precarious adjustment from careless vagabond mode to studious work mode.
The reasons of my travel to Africa this time
around is two-fold, first to simply get out and wander a place I love so much
in addition to (fortunately) working. As a grant writer for Asante Africa
Foundation, with offices in Tanzania and Kenya, my love for the continent and
eagerness to be on the ground, align perfectly. Though not necessary for me to
be here to do my job, the option to swing in is of course on the table. And
believe me, it is an option I am so grateful for; you know I am already
scheming my return.
I was told by the boss that my week in Arusha (aligning with
the organization’s multi-country board meeting) was to be focused on building
relationships with the staff and board. The staff in-country run the show here and are
responsible for implementing all our programs. My previous interactions with
the staff were restricted to email and the occasional Skype call. As a
testament to their amazing characters and personalities, it seemed more like a
reunion than a first meeting. Even though we had never met in person, it was
quick to see that we would have no problem moving beyond the colleague stage to
the friendship stage. By the end of the week, after a safari, some beer
drinking, meat eating, and a little bit of collaborative working, I felt as if
I had fulfilled my assignment and more.
In Arusha, I learned a lot about the organization itself, the impact that it is having here on the continent, and just how talented and dedicated the folks on the ground are. It was a huge assurance for me that my efforts and energy are being spent in the right place.
In Arusha, I learned a lot about the organization itself, the impact that it is having here on the continent, and just how talented and dedicated the folks on the ground are. It was a huge assurance for me that my efforts and energy are being spent in the right place.
Asante Africa Foundation supports the advancement of education and youth in Tanzania and Kenya through a host of programs. Even though classes were not in session, I got the opportunity to visit a couple project schools. Most striking to me, was how basic the facilities were compared to what I know from Namibia. It is obvious that Tanzania has a long way to go.
Nkwamaku Primary School - even though it has received assistance from us, it is still very basic. One bench and table like the one seen here, will seat four students.
On safari with co-workers and brothers from different mothers. It was really great to finally meet in person and to work side-by-side these guys.
Safari central. Arusha is within striking distance of a many of Africa's top attractions; Mt. Kilimanjaro, the Serengeti, and Ngorongoro Crater to name a few. It is no wonder that Arusha is a hot spot. I didn't get to explore the city too much since our hotel was a bit sanitized from the hubbub. As a result, the few times I ventured out, I had this sense that I was actually missing "Africa" while in Africa.
Lots of stripes in Tarangire National Park.
Also a lot of elephants.
Exploring the African bush with some good guys in control.
Tarangire may not be as famous as its neighbors, but I was impressed by the classic African landscapes and abundance of wildlife.






No comments:
Post a Comment