From Kenya I pick up a travel companion, Mark, the husband
of the founder of Asante Africa. Ethiopia had been on both of our lists, so it
was natural that we continue north following our business in Kenya.
Reaching Ethiopia from Kenya overland is supposedly a grand
adventure through harsh desert, long distances, few transport options, and even
banditry. But, in the interest of time, we decided to take the quick flight
from Nairobi to Addis Ababa; the couple hour flight saved us about 4 or 5 days
of rough travel. I keep telling myself that next time, I will tackle the
overland route.
Ethiopia, to most, probably doesn’t evoke too many good
associations; a country plagued by repeated famines, oppressive governments,
and war. Ethiopia is the poster child for the skinny, starving African child.
It seems however, that for the most part, this is a thing of the past for
Ethiopia. It has developed at an
incredible rate and is now a powerhouse in the region with a mighty military.
It was a stunningly beautiful flight into Addis Ababa. The
capital city, at over 7,500 feet, sits amongst broad mountain peaks and fertile
land dotted with circular huts. Even from the air, the city itself looks quite
beautiful spread out across hills with forests encroaching all around and
within. Looks are apparently deceiving though. Addis Ababa is dirty, decrepit,
chaotic, polluted, and mind-blowing. I guess that would be expected for one of
Africa’s largest cities; at least it is surrounded by beauty.
Addis Ababa is an important city in the African context; it
is the seat of the African Union, home of the UN’s Economic Commission for
Africa, and is of course home to a plethora of non-profit and non-secular
organizations. At this very moment, the two warring factions of South Sudan are
in town trying to negotiate a peace deal. History has been made in Addis Ababa
and will probably continue to be made here. And in Ethiopia as a whole, human
history pretty much starts here and hasn’t stopped being made ever since.
Prior to coming here I really didn’t know exactly what to
expect. What I did expect was for it to be entirely different from anything I
had ever experienced before; not quite African and not quite Middle Eastern.
Ethiopia is truly a whole other animal.
To me, the people have characteristics and mannerisms similar to North
African countries with a little bit of Bantu mixed in. The main language,
Amharic, has its own script and has zero influence from the Bantu languages
that I am more familiar with; in fact, Amharic is supposedly closely related to
the language of Christ. And the food…so long stiff porridge and boiled greens
and hello injera (fermented spongy bread) and spice, lots of spice. Oh yeah,
and Ethiopia is the birthplace of coffee drinking, so there is lots of that, with a
consistency more resembling Mrs. Butterworth’s than the watered down coffee we
are used to. I have never been much of a coffee drinker, but I am finding
myself having no problem indulging in this rich and bitter drink. Everything about Ethiopia is new to me with
few similarities I can draw from anywhere else I have been in the world.
This post is obviously getting long and I am barely scratching the surface of what
has only been three days in this country. I think if I tried to scratch deeper, I could be accused of having verbal diarrhea. Obviously there is too much to share
about this unique and wild country, and I haven’t even left the capital. So
from here, I will just let the photos do the talking.
Walking around in
Addis Ababa is no easy task; streets and sidewalks are a mess, traffic is
crazy, and in general, there is an edge. It is fascinating though.
Addis Ababa even has
a river running through it, albeit probably toxic.
There is a sense of
old here, not only in the old buildings and narrow streets, but in the way
people speak and act.
Ethiopia’s history is
dominated by regality and Orthodox Christianity. The history of this country
over the last couple centuries is fascinating. The Holy Trinity Cathedral is
the final resting place of the revered Haile Selassie, a descendent of King
Solomon and the Messiah to Rastafarians. Eventually overthrown in a military
coup, Haile Selassie lived a lavish life, building elaborate palaces across the
entire country while the majority of the population suffered. Nonetheless, he
is still highly regarded in Ethiopia.
Couldn’t tell you
what this saintly figure with a machine gun is all about, but in a way it seems
representative of Ethiopia’s curious history.
Meskel Square is an
iconic location in the middle of the city. When visiting the nearby “Red
Terror” museum you see the pictures of what the square used to be; a place of
large military parades hosted by a brutal communist regime and place for public
executions. The museum is on par with Rwanda’s genocide museum, depicting the
violent “Derg” that committed a little-known genocide over the course of 2
years in the late 70’s, murdering up to a half million people.
You don’t have to go
far out of Addis Ababa to reach dense Eucalyptus forests and full views of this
massive city.
When you kind of get
out of the thick of things, Addis Ababa is actually a very beautiful city.






No comments:
Post a Comment