Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Kids



Children are and always will be part of life.  For me, prior Namibia, children were something that were kind of always on the peripheral.  With the exception of family, I never immersed myself in the company of children in a genuine or meaningful way.  It’s not that I didn’t care to be around children, the opportunities just didn’t exist.  Upon arriving to Enguwantale, it quickly became evident that children were going to become a huge part of my life for the two years to come.  Everyday of my life was soon to be in the company of children; both at school and at home. Children were as foreign to me as the Namibian people.  There was no doubt a learning curve involved with getting used to and interacting with the youngsters.  But I learned.  And what I learned about children extends well beyond just the basics of interacting.  I learned that there is such a unique energy about children that forces one to look at the world at a slightly different angle.  Its a contagious energy, that despite the frustrations that arise from being around kids, is so energizing.  I know I am not alone when I say I wish I could be a kid again - to have limitless energy, an unclouded mind, and not a care in the world.

1 comment:

Grant Helgeson said...

Powerful, GC. I look forward to discussing the idea of being a father with you when we meet again.