Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Culture



Coming to Namibia, I never would have thought my heart would be stolen; but it has been.  The fondness that I have developed for the traditional Owambo culture has stirred me in ways like never before, particularly with the group of girls that have become like daughters to me.  I may have never known what it is like to have children of my own, but the relationships that I have developed with some of these girls has brought out a side of me I never knew I had.  My proudest moments have been by their side when they are dressed in their traditional clothes and calmly waiting for their turn to perform. It has been an absolute joy to get to know their varying personalities; some of them are quiet, some are loud, some are silly, and some are just too cool.  But watching those personalities evaporate as they take the stage was always moving.  To see these girls take pride in something and take it seriously is something so beautiful to witness.  And the power and fervor that they perform with can evoke so many emotions.  The most difficult part of my service is upon me; saying goodbye to the only daughters I have ever known.

No comments: