Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Himba



The Himba have undeniably been one of the most striking and intriguing experiences during my time in Namibia. After my first exposure to the Himba on a brief pass through along the Kunene River, I was enthralled. Coming from the techno-industrial craziness that America is, laying eyes on somebody that was so primitive and so removed from the rest of the world was such a breath of fresh air.  To look such a person in the eyes is moving in ways that I can’t even articulate. It’s maybe a bit of curiosity, envy, or maybe just a simple sense of awe.  Whatever it is, it’s special. Even though I can’t necessarily attest to their wisdom, the way in which they are able to survive off the land away from the modern conveniences of our age, along with the fact that they are defiantly doing so, leads me to believe that there is some precious wisdom and insights there much of the world no longer has. Regardless, being in the presence of the Himba is very humbling and comforting.

No comments: