Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Eenkuwa Culture

This last weekend I had the privilege to attend the Oshana Region Annual Cultural Festival.  As the number one fan and now groupie of Enguwantale's Eenkuwa Cultural Group, I just can't avoid boasting about my beautiful dancing friends.  The festival is a 2-day event where different cultural groups compete for a spot in the national competition later in the year.  

Eenkuwa is the upper primary group from Enguwantale with girls from grades 8, 9 and 10.  I have seen them perform many times in the past but to watch them perform at this level was breathtaking.  I was amazed at their focus and energy leading up to and during their performance.   I was particularly amazed at how calm they all were and their ability to pick up a microphone and speak to 100's of people as if no one was there.  I am extremely proud of these girls and rightfully so; they took the top spot.  In December they will have the opportunity to travel to the capitol and compete against all the other regions in the national championship.  I doubt there is no one more deserving than these girls.

I decided to do something a little different this time around.  You have all seen the photos and more photos just won't do them the justice they deserve.  As a gift for the girls, I created a movie with photos and footage from their performance.  I have decided to post the movie on YouTube so that I could share their breathtaking performance with you.  Pay particular attention to how in sync they all are during the dances.  With nothing more than a drum beat, clapping, and singing they can stay in perfect unison despite the rapid movement.  Also note the crowd's pleasure after their last dance.  I hope you enjoy!



No comments: