Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Day in the Life of a PC Trainee

The last couple of weeks have been surprisingly busy...and flying by for that matter. Before I oficially become a Peace Corps volunteer I have to complete training. It really feels like I am back in school, complete with homework and exams.

I am now living with a host family about 15 minutes outside of Okahandja. I have two young energetic host brothers, a host brother about my age, and of course a mama and papa. They have been wonderful to live with and have been showing me how to live like a Namibian.

Training days start before the sun is up. My family has granted me a lot of independence so each day I prepare my own breakfast and get myself out the door to catch the PC shuttle. The mornings start with a couple of hours of language training with our wonderful teacher Vicky. Myself, along with several others, are learning Ohindonga, a language from the North. At times it seems like a daunting task. For example, as a business volunteer my title is: omwiiyambi omunangeshefa gwo Peace Corps. Try that one ten times fast. However, despite the often tongue-tying long words, I do feel like I am starting to get the hang of it. After our language session the business volunteers meet up for sessions on business aspects of Namibia from the micro and macro economies to who and how we report when we want to take on a project (the "who" of course being the village headman). In the afternoon all the volunteers meet for sessions on Namibian history and safety and security. Once home I study Oshindonga as much as I can, do my business homework, help prepare dinner, and do the dishes. Unfortunately, the schedule right now doesn't leave a whole lot of time to get out and explore. You can imagine that I am itching to get out and see more of the country. I am certainly looking forward to the middle of October when I am finally cut loose.



Morning language training with Vicky


Returning home after another long day

Even though the weekdays have been full of training there is still time for fun on the weekends. This past Saturday PC hosted a traditional cooking day. The trainers and hosts families cooked traditional dishes from different regions of the country. Dishes ranged from goat stomach to boiled butterfly larvae, to German-style sausages. Some of the food was quite good but some of it was difficult to get down. Lucky for me though, the larvae come from the North which is where I will be positioned. The grub was delicious! I am even told that they are quite healthy.
A successful slaughter

Yep...those are grub, and delicious

7 comments:

Krista Larson said...

mmmm!!! looks delicious. I could certainly go for the chicken! :)

Unknown said...

Nice, keep the posts coming, Cope; you have such a great blog. Do you upload stuff at an internet cafe?

I'm anxious to hear more about the foods you're eating and the food culture (individual vs. community aspect, meal portions, times of meals, etc.). Also, tell us about your host family so we have insight into local culture. And show us the crib!

Hope all is well.

Grant Helgeson said...

G, you are by far the most amazingly selfless person I know. You're an inspiration to us all bro. Keep up the good work down there, and please keep sharing with us- Namaste - g

Stacy said...

So great! :)

Grant Copenhaver said...

Thanks for the comments! Brandon, I will make a post later on about the food and certainly the host family. The food isn't too outrageous yet, pretty western actually while I am at the homestay. Once I head to my permanent site though things will change.

As far as my internet time...I purchased a 3G modem with some of the money PC gives us for a cell phone. I can get internet anywhere there is a cell signal, which is pretty much anywhere in Namibia. The catch is that it is expensive, except in the middle of the night. It is actually free from 1 - 5 am, so I get up and do my internetting then.

So I have full access to the internet and I actually have a cell phone (I sent my first text message ever the other day)...doesn't really sound like the Peace Corps does it?

Mom said...

Hello son
I have to know where were the grubs living (tree, ground, dead animal)? What did they taste like? What were they cooked in?
Stay healthy!!!!
Mom

Grant Copenhaver said...

I am not sure where the grub actually come from. They are popular up north, where I will be, so I am sure I will find out. I understand that they are readily available so chances are I will keep a stash in the cupboard. How to describe the taste...chewy, a bit gritty, and honestly not tasting too much unlike chicken. They started out dried and kind of crispy and then they were boiled in water for over an hour. They plumped up and became juicy.

I am expecting you and dad to try some when you come!