Monday, May 25, 2009

A little predeparture reflection

So it is worth a little predeparture reflection before I take off for Ghana. This trip certainly differs from my previous travels to the Indian subcontinent. Instead of being a total vagabond, I will actually be working in Ghana. Although I think I will be able to find many similarities with India, the way I experience the country will be different. I am excited to immerse myself in the country in this way. And of course it is not all about gaining the cultural experience but also applying what I have learned in school in a meaningful way. For me, this is a great way to use my skills and knowledge I have gained over the years. It would take a lot to convince me that my time would be better spent at a multi-billion dollar corporation instead of helping those in need. However, I am not expecting that my time here will change lives. The effects of my work will probably remain pretty subtle, which is fine with me. As long as I can make connections with the people here and know that I applied myself appropriately, then I will be satisfied. The biggest challenge of this experience will be to apply the corporate theories and formulas on a micro level. Even though it may seem like a stretch, I am confident there is a connection. So the next three months should be interesting at the very least. I am looking forward to sharing all the different aspects of this journey with you all.

1 comment:

Grant Helgeson said...

Grant, I wish you the very best of luck with your business school toolset. There are ways to use it outside of the evil empire for sure!