Well, I have managed to successfully make it to Ghana. The stand-by flying worked flawlessly and I actually got the opportunity to fly first class from New York to Accra. I certainly enjoyed the 3 course dinner and fine wine. So the last couple of days have been spent in Accra, which is the capital of Ghana. It has been a great introduction to the country. It is certainly hot and humid, but has been manageable. The days have been spent wondering the streets and testing out the local transport. The people here have been extremely kind and a joy to interact with. There are a lot of characteristics of this place that remind of India. The strong smells of frying food, open sewers, burning garbage, and humid air. Even though these are not necessarily wonderful smells, they do hold some nostalgic value. The main local transport is the tro-tro, which is a variety of different van like vehicles. They are often overcrowded but cheap and a bit adventurous. I haven't had too much time to explore the local cuisine but what I have been shown so far is quite good. Yams are very common, which are served in large chunks and served with a hot sauce, I mean HOT. There is also fried plantains which are wonderful and of course rice. I am certainly looking forward to trying more of the cuisine. That's about the extent of my African experience thus far. Tomorrow I will move onto Cape Coast where I will begin work. I'll keep you all posted as more develops.
Mellow streets around the house
Accra lighthouse
They have crazy traffic here too



7 comments:
Thanks for the update. I'm excited to begin the journey with you!!!! Be safe and have a great time
Mom
Hi Grant: Do they have beef, chicken and goats to eat? There must be lots of fish being on the coast. Terry W.
Cool Grant! Yams sound good, I'm hungry. :) I'm excited for you to begin working and sharing your experience with us. My work just doesn't seem as meaningful!
You missed a very wet slog up Bass Creek on Sunday. Caleb and I figured 17 miles total, with lots of rain, snow, snow melting and even debris on the trail from a couple of slides. Felt good to be out though.
Best!-K
PS the sign for "soft dread" is hilarious!!
Hope you are having fun :)
So far the meat I have eaten is pork and chicken. These seem to be the most common but I am sure they have beef and goat I am unsure of. There is a lot of fish in the market and at the small food stalls. No big fish steaks though, a lot of little fish that I assume you have to do a lot of bone picking.
Hey Grant!
Ready, set, GO! I am so excited for you and to be a part of what you are experiencing...for that I send a great BIG Thank You! It appears that the new haircut before you left must have worked. We all miss you here, but hope you have another great adventure:)
Suzie
Copenhaver, congrats ol' boy on another successful deployment!!! Great pics thus far... keep them coming. Sorry i missed your call last weekend. Good luck man, i'll be in touch for sure!! -tommy d
Post a Comment