Wow, Windhoek is a phenomenal city which I am now realizing I may have under appreciated during my previous Namibian life. From Cape Town I made a straight line north to Namibia's capitol Windhoek; about 20 hours by bus. Spending that much time on any bus usually falls short of being enjoyable, but if it has to be done, there is probably no better way than with South Africa's Intercape bus service. The buses are nice, driving sane, and only one person per seat.
My excitement of crossing the border back into Namibia was quickly squashed after finishing up at the South Africa side of the border. Thinking I had followed the proper procedures of checking out of South Africa, I realized that as the bus attendant was handing back passports to passengers as the bus rolled towards Namibia, I had obviously missed a step; my passport was still in my pocket. Turns out, not only is immigration supposed to stamp you out, but also the police. After a few tense minutes waiting for the Namibian immigration officer to approve my entry, he luckily failed to notice my illegal exit and I joyously boarded the bus with a fresh stamp in the passport.
Stepping off the bus into the cool Windhoek air in the early morning hours, I had the sense that I had never really left. It was as familiar to me as the day I had last left almost 2 years ago. During my Peace Corps service, Windhoek was our place of business, checking in, and attending conferences. Never was it really for leisure, and never did I make the trip without reluctance to leave the village. Being here in a different capacity has totally changed my perspective. Windhoek is a special city with a unique vibrancy that really sets it apart from all other cities. Maybe its the sun, maybe its the desert, maybe its the mix of cultures and traditions; most likely a combination of all that and much more.
My couple days in Windhoek were spent strolling the streets, catching up with a friend and former PC volunteer, and visiting museums. Out of character for me, I even closed down a pub one evening. The Warehouse is so representative of this city; a harmonious mix of black and white, ex-pats, travelers, and everyone else in between. It was a fun and unique experience that is likely hard to find anywhere else on the continent.
A revisit to Windhoek has made me truly appreciate all its beautiful aspects. It was a nostalgic couple of days and has only strengthened my love for this country.
Windhoek center and the main drag, Independence Avenue, seen from the roof of the very swanky Hilton rooftop bar (don't worry, I didn't stay there).
Since I will not have the time to visit the Kunene region this trip, it was compulsory for me to visit the market and support my Himba friends.
The old German-built Christuskirche and the dazzling new Chinese-built Independence museum.
A nice new addition to one of my favorite drinks.
Sunny and beautiful Windhoek.





No comments:
Post a Comment