Saturday, May 24, 2014

A long absence, a sweet reunion

I can almost remember it like it was yesterday: strolling the shady streets of Entebbe, Uganda, feeling a bit remorseful about leaving Sub-Saharan Africa, a region of the world that had nurtured and grown me so much over the course of two years. I had no idea when I would return. Of course, in the back of mind I knew my return was inevitable, but the doubts about when and how left me feeling a bit empty.

It's all trivial now. In a few days I will be setting foot back on the continent that has not left my mind since the day I left. For me, a long absence; the last year and change has been the longest time spent back home since being seized by wanderlust after my first foray in India. Overdue? Indeed, but what a sweet reunion it will be.

Not too much unlike my time spent on the African continent, my time back home has been loaded with its ups and downs, adventure, and the mundane. Two years far away from my other passions (far-fetched passions when marooned in a flat, hot and sandy environment) certainly made me appreciate those passions. Whether it be winding my mountain bike through the forests of Montana, seeking deep backcountry powder on my skis, or pulling a trout out of an alpine lake, since returning, I have never pursued these things more fervently.

Hundreds, if not thousands of miles of singletrack. Hasn't gotten old; never will.


Exploring new places with old friends. Montana is packed with wondrous adventures; adventures I will only scratch the surface to in this life.


My backyard is my escape. Worlds away, yet only a quick bike ride away.

Home is where the heart is. Couldn't be any truer while setting a solitary skin track in Copenhaver Country.

Seeking the steep and deep.

I am torn between these two fantastic worlds. Hanging the bike up before I set off once again for Africa is going to be nearly as remorseful as strolling those shady streets in Entebbe. Luckily, neither are going anywhere. The other will be here when I return, and vice versa.

My foray in Africa this time is a mix of work and play, visiting old colleagues and meeting new ones, sharing time with old friends and building new friendships, dropping by old haunts and exploring new ones. I am feeling very fortunate to have the opportunity to make the trip in this capacity and with these specific objectives.

Cape Town to Aksum, and everywhere in between. Here I come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are pretty amazing grant. It will be an amazing journey. Erna

Grant Copenhaver said...

Thanks Erna. See you in Tanzania!

Anonymous said...

Have a safe journey and can't wait for the post.
Mom