With only five perennial rivers
in the entire country, all of which are shared with other countries, it is no
wonder that rivers take on a magical, almost mystical feel. They are providers of life in this country,
and without them, many places would be too inhospitable to tolerate. The Kunene River, which makes the northwest
border of the country with Angola, was my nearest river and to become my favorite
place in Namibia. I will never forget my
first time dropping into the Kunene river valley coming from the flat expanses
of Owamboland. It is such a dramatic
change in landscape; as if the Kunene is an oasis in the desert. I would later learn to appreciate all the
magic of the Kunene which lies in its people and its remarkable waterfalls. There is something special about waterfalls, something which I can’t quite put
my finger on. Waterfalls are so simple, yet their constant movement and power are
humbling. The waterfalls of the Kunene
are the only places in this country that I have gone out of my way more than
once to visit and I will go out of my way again just to be able to experience
the magic of these places one more time.
No comments:
Post a Comment