Friday, October 15, 2010

Moving forward...

Today marks my official start into Peace Corps volunteerism. After two months of rigorous training I have been officially sworn in as a volunteer. The event was a fairly big deal. Several important people from the community, the Namibian government, the US Embassy, and various NGOs attended the swearing-in of our group. The ceremony was filled with speeches from various US and Namibian officials, singing, speeches by volunteers (in local languages), and the official swearing-in by the acting US ambassador to Namibia. In total, 34 education volunteers and 10 Small Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Development (SEED) volunteers were sworn in. It took a lot of hard work to get this far, in fact many people say that pre-service training is the toughest part to PC service.

This is certainly an emotional and exciting time. It is hard to say goodbye to the community that I have been calling home for the last two months. There has been wonderful relationships developed with my host family, neighbors, and trainers. Okahandja has certainly become a comfortable place to call home. As a PC trainee there has been a lot of support in this community and now that I am officially a volunteer, that immediate support is gone. I will immediately move to Enguwantale and away from the training staff, other volunteers, and a structured environment. However, it is all very exciting too. I will get to learn and integrate into a new community, develop new relationships, and learn to live in a different way. I am excited to begin working and to start testing and implementing my ideas. There is a lot of challenges and hard work ahead of me in my new community but I am looking forward to every moment of it.




Namibia's first group of Small Enterprise and
Entrepreneurship Development volunteers



My host parents and I elegantly
matching at the swearing-in ceremony

5 comments:

Betsy Hands said...

I love the African clothing - good job at wearing it at your swearing in! I think that is the best way to show your respect and interest in the culture you will be immersed in for the the 2 years. Plus you look great in it!

Jennifer said...

Hey Grant, I think it looks great on you! So did she make that herself? If so she is very talented. I can't wait to hear about your new journeys! Zoey misses you a ton!

Unknown said...

Congrats Grant! It looks like you're getting a lot out of the experience and making the most of it. I'm jealous! Can't wait to see what happens during the next phase of the program.

Yeehaas said...

Congratulations, I wish you luck in your new community!

Grant Copenhaver said...

Yeah, my host mother did make the shirt. She is very talented indeed. It is my new favorite shirt. People are always commenting on it. They tell me that I am African now...

Give Zoey a big hug for me!