A new journey begins. As I write this I am sitting in the Denver airport anxiously waiting to catch my next flight which will take me one stop closer to Namibia. So what is in store for me the next couple of months?
From here I am heading to Philadelphia for a full day of training with the rest of the Namibia volunteers. We will be meeting with medical staff to get any vaccinations squared away and get briefed on Namibia and the program. From Philly we are whisked away under the cover of darkness to New York where we will board the 15 and a half hour flight to Johannesburg, South Africa. Then, of course, on to Windhoek, Namibia.
The first two months in the country will be spent training. There is a lot to learn about the country, its people and culture, and my specific assignment in a short amount of time. For the first seven nights I will be staying at the National Institute for Educational Development in Okahandja, about 45 minutes North of Windhoek. After this time I will move in with a host family in the same community until the end of training in the middle of October. During this time I will be very busy with pre-service training which is heavy on community based and homestay activities. I will be put through extensive language training and at this point I am not entirely sure what language this will be. About 4 weeks into training Peace Corps staff will make their decision on where to place me and I will make the first visit to my new home. Come October 15th, training will be done and I will be sworn in as a Peace Corps volunteer. I will move into to my new community and then the fun begins....
This is a pretty exciting and scary endeavor. Over the past few years I have fallen in love with experiencing new places and cultures and luckily have been fortunate enough to be able to get out there and do it. The Peace Corps is a two year commitment, which I imagine will fly by, but I am expecting lots of ups and downs during this time. A lot can happen and a lot can change in two years. In part, that is why this is all simultaneously exciting and scary. I suppose that is what makes adventure what it is. I am certainly looking forward to the next couple of years.
4 comments:
Hey Grant,
Thank you for taking us on another adventure! Our thoughts and prayers are with you!
The Cornwells in Washington
Hey bro - you inspire all of us! Zoey is so lucky to have an uncle that will have so many great life experiences. You will be a huge influence in her life as she grows. We miss you already but can't wait to hear about your adventure! Love, Your Sis
Are we there yet?? :)
Hey Grant, Finally got some time to catch up on your blog. Last time you were in Denver so now I've got the whole story. Continue to enjoy this experience, learn a new language and culture, and provide the business guidance that you seek to share with the people you'll be living with up north. God bless you and those you have the privilege to reach out to. We're already missing your trust account reconciliation skills! Dave
Post a Comment