Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Weekend in Kokum N.P.

Life has been pretty good thus far in Ghana. Saturday a small group of us made a quick trip to a surrounding national park, Kokum, which has a network of walkways in the the canopy of the trees. It was pretty neat, the trees were huge! Some of the highest walkways were well over 100 feet above the ground. And I will actually admit that it was a little scary. The walkways were suspended by cables but were built with rope and wood. Particularly creepy is the fact that there is no word for "maintenance" in the local language. It all worked out just fine though. Would I go walking on these bridges 5 years from now?? In addition to the walkways we went on a nature walk through the jungle. Turns out the Ghanaian jungle plants have many medicinal properties including antibiotic and "viagra". Seemed that viagra plants were the most common and our tour guide was certainly quick to point them out. Unfortunately we didn't come across any wildlife. A few insects but for the most part the forests felt pretty empty. Overall it was a good first weekend in Ghana. It is so strange to be thinking in weekends, it feels like I have a job or something!

Upcoming blogs will include more on how my days are spent as a volunteer, the specific projects I am working on, and more about life in Cape Coast and Ghana. I am still trying to figure out the people and the culture. Given some time though I will be able to better grasp the culture and therefore be able to supply more accurate information. This place is truly fascinating. So that is just a little look into the future of this blog. Oh the suspense...

The surrounding forest

Canopy walkway

Also, please let me know if there is anything in particular that you want me to post about, I do take requests.

4 comments:

Dad and Mom said...

What Grant no fruit Loop birds,
Toucans, parots, parkeets, tweeties?
It looks like there should be moneys too!!! Kinda looks like the forest in New Zealand Huh?

G said...

Yeah I would say it is pretty similar to NZ. Supposedly there are elephants and monkeys in the park and some predators. There really was no birds! Could hear some making noise but certainly couldn't find them. Although maybe I did see a few little tweeties.

Terry W. said...

Hi Grant: How about finding a witch doctor and see if they can do something weird? Terry W.

G said...

Witch doctor...I'll keep my eyes peeled, that could be fun.